Car Alternator Repair & Replacement
Visiting H&I Automotive for alternator repair and replacement will provide you with the most reliable automotive services and solutions. Our professional technicians have the necessary expertise and diagnostic tools to accurately assess the condition of your alternator and provide expert Mesa Auto Electrical Repair.
When we’re dealing with alternator failure, it’s important to understand the warning signs and know how to address the issue. The alternator is a critical component of our vehicle’s electrical system, as it generates electricity to power all accessories and recharges the battery. If our alternator fails, we’ll be left stranded with a dead battery and an inoperable vehicle.
Car Alternator Services in Mesa!
5-Year 60,000 Mile Local Warranty!
When you bring your car in for an alternator repair, skilled technicians will carefully assess various components to identify the root cause of the problem. The alternator itself will be thoroughly inspected for any signs of damage, wear, or mechanical issues. This includes checking the housing, bearings, and connections to ensure everything is in proper working condition.
Along with replacing the alternator, a thorough inspection of related components should be performed. This may include checking the battery, belts, pulleys, and other parts of the charging system such as the voltage regulator to ensure they are in good condition and functioning properly.
- Visual Inspection: Begin with a visual inspection of the alternator and its connections. Look for any visible signs of damage, such as frayed wires, loose connections, or physical wear.
- Battery Voltage Test: Use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine off. A healthy battery typically reads around 12.6 volts or higher. A significantly lower voltage may indicate a problem with the alternator’s charging function.
- Battery Load Test: Perform a load test on the battery to check its overall health and capacity. This test helps determine if the battery is holding a charge properly and if it can handle the electrical load of the vehicle.
- Alternator Output Test: Start the engine and measure the voltage across the battery terminals while it is running. A properly functioning alternator should produce a voltage between 13.8 and 14.8 volts, indicating that it is charging the battery.
- Alternator Diode Test: Test the diodes within the alternator to ensure they are functioning correctly. Faulty diodes can cause issues with the charging system. A diode test will check for any abnormal voltage readings in both directions.
- Alternator Load Test: Use a specialized alternator load tester to put a load on the alternator and simulate real-world conditions. This test helps evaluate the alternator’s performance under a significant electrical load.
- Belt Tension Test: Check the tension and condition of the alternator belt. A loose or worn-out belt can affect the alternator’s performance and should be adjusted or replaced if necessary.
Alternator Repair Cost
The cost of alternator repair or replacement can vary depending on several factors, including the make and model of your car, the complexity of the repair, and labor costs in your area. Our technicians and staff can discuss with you the specific costs after completing assessing the issues that have developed concerning your alternator.
We are near Higley and Main in Mesa just off the 60 freeway.
Car Alternator FAQs
What are the signs that our alternator needs repair?
If you’re experiencing dimming headlights, a dead battery, a weak battery, or warning lights on your dashboard, it might be time to have your alternator checked. We can diagnose and repair any issues with your alternator.
How long does it usually take for us to repair an alternator?
The time it takes to repair an alternator can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, as well as the specific issue at hand. Generally, we can complete most alternator repairs within a few hours.
Will our vehicle’s warranty be affected if we get our alternator repaired by you?
We’re proud to offer a 5-year, 60,000-mile local warranty and a 3-year, 36,000-mile nationwide warranty on our alternator repairs. This means you can feel confident in our work without worrying about voiding your vehicle’s warranty.
How much will it cost for us to have our alternator repaired?
The cost of alternator repair can vary depending on your vehicle’s make and model, as well as the specific problem with the alternator. We’ll provide you with an honest, upfront estimate before we begin any work on your vehicle.
Why should we choose H&I Automotive for our alternator repair needs?
We pride ourselves on our reliability, efficiency, and expertise in alternator repair. Our ASE-certified mechanics are dedicated to providing top-notch service, and our commitment to honesty and integrity means you can trust us to get the job done right.